Social Studies, Geography
Grade 1- 3
Students will navigate Web sites and find required information, identify roles of professionals in the community, identify animals in different parts of the world, find and record information about the state in which they live, and play Word Fun and record the results.
Your Neighborhood (page 7)
Visit the Zoo (page 8)
- Students can brainstorm a list of all the places in their community.
- Explain to the students that when the cursor turns into a hand, they can click on links to the buildings.
Kids Town (page 9)
- Talk about the way zoos are organized.
- Although zoos are not part of every local community, they are part of larger communities and are a good place to learn. Ask students what other places in the community are good for learning.
- Talk about the animals that are part of the everyday community.
- Explain that there are fifty states in the United States of America and that all states are unique with different flags, characteristics, and state symbols.
- This activity also includes word games and riddles.
- computer with Internet access
- copies of the three activity pages (see below for a link to these pages)