Social Studies, United States History
Grade 1- 3
Students will learn about the history of Memorial Day and complete activities with a Memorial Day theme.
Memorial Day Facts
Memorial Day Fun Activities
- Memorial Day is a patriotic holiday in the United States. It is celebrated on the last Monday in May each year.
- It began as a day to honor the men and women who died in the Civil War.
- On Memorial Day we honor all the men and women who have died in all the wars fought by the United States.
- Memorial Day is celebrated in many ways. Many businesses, schools, and banks close in honor of the holiday.
- Often, families go to the cemetery to add flags to the grave sites of war veterans.
- Parades and picnics are other ways this holiday is celebrated.
- Discuss the meaning of the word "memorial."
- Make flags to decorate the classroom or homes.
- Invite a guest speaker from the military to visit the class.
- Make cards for the veterans in the community.
- Compose an acrostic poem with the word "memorial."
Distribute the activity sheets and have students complete the activities.
- Memorial Day Fun activity sheets
- construction paper