Science, Earth and Space Science
Grade 1- 3
Students measure the amount of precipitation within a given time frame.
- Measure and mark inch (or centimeter) levels on the outside of the jar with permanent marker so the numbers read from the bottom up.
- Place the jar outside, away from obstructions, to collect rainwater.
- At the end of the day, collect the jar, read, and record the day's rainfall measurement on the calendar page.
- Pour the water outside and wipe out the jar to use again each day for a month.
- At the end of the month, total the amount of rain that fell each week. Draw a graph showing how much rain fell each week during the month. How much rainfall did you experience for the entire month?
- Follow up with the measuring rainfall activity page.
- a clear, straight-sided jar
- permanent marker
- calendar page
- a rainy day (or two)