Mathematics, Operations (+, -, x, /, etc.), Problem Solving
Grade 3- 5
- use the Internet to gather baseball statistics to solve problems.
- use the Internet to convert units.
- use the Internet to gather data regarding the solar system to solve problems.
- The activity pages are pretty self-explanatory. The students should be able to work on these individually or in pairs.
- The players selected are suggestions; if students have favorite players they can (using the appropriate statistics). Students may confuse the idea of distance around the bases with how far a baseball travels when it is hit.
- The distance to the moon is given in kilometers; students will need to convert to miles using the conversion table or interactive conversion table.
- The last problem involves several steps; you may need to help some students work through each step.
- computer with Internet access
- copies of the activity sheets for the students (see the link below)